Extracurricular activities are important for our children and young adults. Often times funding these projects can be somewhat difficult.
STAR Automotive is proud to assist with some funding for local youth groups and activities. However, we do it a little differently!
My goal is that our children learn to appreciate what it takes to work towards and earn a project which they desire. This is what I had to do when I was young. Earning it taught me to value what I was doing and to more appreciate the activity rather than just having it paid for by someone else and ‘given’ to me.
I think that when we ‘give’ things too often to our children, we create an environment of ‘entitlement’. I have personally experienced greater appreciation and value for something which I earned rather than something simply given to me.
Here is how our program works:
- A youth group has a project which they need to raise money to accomplish or complete.
- A youth member approaches STAR Automotive expressing the need and the goal.
- A parent or other adult agrees to supervise the program.
- STAR Automotive issues cards (see sample) with automotive services to sell for a minimum set amount.
- The youth group sells the cards and keeps 100% of the proceeds to put towards reaching their goal.
If your child is part of a youth group, or if you know of a qualified group needing to raise funds, please have them contact Jim Lefeber at STAR Automotive. We can discuss how this program can help.
Funding Goals for Local Youth Groups
In recent years STAR Automotive has helped to fund goals for these local youth groups:
- 4H - Head Over Hooves
- 4H - Saddlebumpers
- IVHS Equestrian Team - Illinois Valley High School
- Excaliber - Josephine County Girls Softball Team
- Josephine County Miss America
- FBLA GPHS – Future Business Leaders of America, Grants Pass High School
- GPHS Cheerleaders – Cheerleaders Grants Pass High School
- HVHS Wrestling Team – Hidden Valley High School
- NVHS Knights Soccer Team – North Valley High School
We have also supported and continue to support:
- Calvary Crossroads Church
- Our Foster Kids, Inc.
- US Marine Corps Reserve Toys For Tots
- Boys and Girls Club of the Rogue Valley
- Josephine County Food Bank (food drive and cash donations) The JCFB is particularly close to Jolene and my heart.